Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's Carnival Time!

It's days like today (King's Day, the beginning of Mardi Gras season) that I greatly dislike living in Smalltown, Texas. If we were still living in New Orleans, no less than five people would have shown up on our doorstep gifting us with delicious Randazzo's, Gambino's or Dorignac's King Cakes. I kept my nose pressed against the glass all day today, and no one ever showed. I called every bakery in town, not only did they not make King Cakes, they had never heard of King Cakes!

So, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.



I made a King Cake!! I didn't make it from scratch, that's just crazy. That would involve far to much time, precision and kneading. I don't knead. I cracked open a couple cans of cinnamon rolls and placed them in a tight circle and baked according to package directions.

After they cooled, I hid the plastic baby inside and decorated the top with Mardi Gras colored cream cheese icing. I think it turned out really cute and it tasted super yummy!
You can take the girl away from Mardi Gras, but you can't take Mardi Gras away from the girl!

6 comments:

jmac said...

Awwwww...cbabes,if I'd known thats what one is supposed to do, I'd have been over there in a flash with the delivery!!!
If you swing thru s'port, Julie Anne's makes the best praline and cream cheese King Cake....at least for this part of the state.
Nuthin' or nobody makes 'em like
Gambinos.....
Do you need us to help with the shoes this yr??

jmac said...

Oh.....and your cake is TOO cute!!

Virginia G said...

King Cake! Gotta love it.

Alas, nobody except for my Lebanese boss had heard of king cake around here.

(Go figure on the boss thing, right?)

Danielle said...

I'm up here in Pennsylvania so I've never heard of a King Cake...looks beautiful! What's the deal with the baby?!?!
Blog is great, btw...love the pics!

Aldo said...

Three Kings Day! My mother in law is from Mexico and 3 Kings is a big deal. We do the whole "hide the baby in the bread" thing, too.

Your cake looks really beautiful and bright, I love it!

-Crystal
http://crystalsongtoanisland.blogspot.com

Clover said...

Girl, you do not even know the problem you have just solved for me. Because 1) the only way you're gonna find a King Cake in Hideyhoo is if Miz Mac brings you one. And 2) well...erm...I do not love King Cake.

But I love Mardi Gras, and I want to have a big ol'party. And if you have a Mardi Gras party I think you have to have King Cake. Right?

So now we will have one. Brilliant.

Related Posts with Thumbnails