Tuesday, July 13, 2010

How does our garden grow?

This was our first year to give carrot growing a go...Obviously we've got a lot to learn!


This was our one and only survivor.
At least we had something to show for our effort!

As bad as we are a growing carrots, we rock at growing tomatoes.

(Wow. I look really tired.)

The only problem is, no one in our house likes tomatoes!

I take that back, we love tomotoes, just not right off the vine like most proper Southerners.
I've been roasting them with a little olive oil, garlic and fresh basil and eating them as fast as they come out of the oven. I've also made spaghetti sauce, pico de gallo and homemade ketchup. If anyone has any other wonderful ideas on how to use up a pile of Romas, I'm up for suggestions! 

In other gardening news, my cucumbers were a flop. I had cukes coming out my ears last year, but this Summer I've had exactly three. Bummer. I wonder if it's too late to start a second crop and see if they do any better? Summer just won't be complete if I don't make pickles!
I know I can just go buy some cucumbers, but what's the fun in that?!

My basil is growing like crazy again, so there's lots o' pesto making in my near future...So YAY! However, my cilantro and dill went to seed really quickly...BOO! I've put down some more seeds and will hopefully get some new plants growing soon.

And finally, I have two mystery plants that have sprung up around the pool. I'm almost certain one of them is a pumpkin vine or possibly watermelon (the kids tossed their Jack-o-lanterns under the Oleander bushes after Halloween and I've dumped a few watermelon seeds back there on occasion) and I have no clue about the other plant. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow and maybe someone can help me identify them.

I hope you all have a wonderful week!




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails