Thursday, September 24, 2009

Garden Gone Wild



This is the first year I’ve ever planted a real garden and honestly I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. Coach built me a raised garden bed, I filled it with soil and I sprinkled in some seeds. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. I visualized myself picking a few fresh tomatoes every once in awhile, and maybe having a little basil to toss with my pasta and hopefully I would get a cucumber or two. Well, all those things happened and I was a very happy little gardener, but then things started to change. The garden started to grow and grow and grow. Before I knew it, I was picking baskets full of cucumbers, and corn and peppers and peas every other day. At first I was thrilled, but they just kept growing and growing and growing! The cucumber vines crawled out of the garden bed, up the fence and across the yard! Then the peas and beans crawled up the cucumber vines and my neighbors became quite curious about the corn stalks towering above my fence. I made basil pesto, spinach pesto, jalapeno pesto, cilantro chimichurri, dill pickles, sweet pickles, bread and butter pickles, and many other tasty things. We ate loads of veggies straight from the garden and gave away some too. With all my efforts, I still had vegetables shriveling on the vine because we couldn’t use them up fast enough. I think I overdid it just a wee bit.

I’m looking out the window right now and seeing that my basil, after being harvested many times this summer, is over two foot tall again! I guess it’s time to make more pesto!

~Gridiron Girl



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails